DANIELA BOHATÁ (BARNÁŠOVÁ)
INDEPENDENT teacher trainer (2015 – present)
- WORKSHOPS FOR TEACHERS OF ENGLISH: Mental Imagery in English Language Teaching : Creating a motivating and pleasant classroom atmosphere increases the quality of learning. However, we often forget to make sure that WE are relaxed, focused and centred when entering the classroom, while teaching, interacting with colleagues at the workplace, or at the end of our working day. Therefore, this workshop provides teachers with activities aimed at regaining lost energy and attention. This is an innovative, experiential teacher training workshop which focuses on enhancing foreign language classes by meaningful classroom and outdoor activities. All of the presented activities focus on getting students’ minds into a more receptive state of mind for learning by using relaxation techniques, mental imagery, and developing senses. Presented ideas can help teachers of English and their students deal with problems caused by externally generated extreme visual input, counter-productive multitasking, lowered workplace productivity, frustration, overload of the Internet, overthinking and analysis paralysis. Teachers will learn new approaches and techniques by experiencing them.
OTHER TOPICS I TEACH: Cross-cultural communication and etiquette, Soft skills including presentation skills. The Sounds, Smells and Colours – Tasteful and Touching Teacher Training. Relaxation techniques. Teaching English outdoor. Developing senses in ELT. Prehistoric sites in Europe.
TOUR Guide + PR and event management volunteer (2015 – present)
Archaeological Park: Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun Foundation
Archeological tourism in the Bosnian valley of pyramids and other interesting places in the Balkans and elsewhere.
Lecturer at Department of English and American Studies (September 2010 – February 2017)
Tomas Bata University in Zlin, FACULTY OF HUMANITIES
- Teach British Studies, Business English and Communication Skills courses (English for Business Administration students).
- Teach lifelong learning courses, City & Guilds exams preparation courses (certified examiner).
- Organized a tailor-made fieldwork course on business English in Devon, UK.
- Lectures and workshops abroad:
- November 2016 – ELT methodology across cultures – 2 weeks long teaching stay funded by the Ministry of Education and Science of Republic of Kazakhstan – workshops for teachers and future teachers, Taraz State Pedagogical Institute, Republic of Kazakhstan.
- May 2014 – Social Etiquette across Cultures: Teaching English for Building Relationships and Rapport,4th Foreign Language Teaching and Applied Linguistics Conference, Sarajevo, BiH (published in proceedings „Applying Intercultural Linguistic Competence to Foreign Language Teaching and Learning“ Sarajevo: IBU Publications. pp 474-482. ISBN: 978-9958-834-21-9).
- September 2013 – Digital manners, Facebook etiquette and all that, Traditions & Innovations, Moravian and Silesian Association of Teachers of English conference. Olomouc, Czech Rep.
- July 2012 – Edukativni centarKoleks d.o.o., Banja Luka, BiH (Authentic Material in the Classroom – workshop for teachers),
- January/ February 2012 – Faculty of Philosophy, Osijek, Croatia (ELT Methodology: learning styles, teaching grammar),
- January/ February 2012 – Osnovna škola Vladimira BecićaOsijek, Croatia (General English),
- October/ November 2011 – European University Cyprus, Nicosia (Intercultural Communication, Business English),
- April 2011 – workshop Avoiding Cultural Faux Pas: Teaching Etiquette and Manners at 19th Annual HUPE Conference, Croatia.
- Association of Teacher Educators (AMATE) member
- Published: Valikova, D. (2014). Social Etiquette across Cultures: Teaching English for Building Relationships and Rapport. Proceedings of the 4th Foreign Language Teaching and Applied Linguistics Conference „Applying Intercultural Linguistic Competence to Foreign Language Teaching and Learning“ Sarajevo: IBU Publications. pp 409- 415, ISBN 9789958834356
Valikova, D. (2014). Exploring etiquette and digital manners. HUPE Croatia magazine, June 2014. HUPEzine: ISSN: 1332-1005
Valikova, D. (2014). Facebouquette: Discussing digital manners in English classes. ELTA Serbia Newsletter and ELTA Serbia magazine. ISSN 1820-9831 (online).
LANGUAGES I CAN SPEAK AND UNDERSTAND
Native Czech, C2 English, C1 German, C1 Bosnian/ Croatian/ Serbian; passive knowledge of Russian, Dutch and Latin.
CHARLES UNIVERSITY, FACULTY OF ARTS – Prague, Czech Republic (since September 2011) PhD in ELT Methodology (Extramural study programme) * Dissertation project: Teaching Etiquette and Manners: Cross-Cultural Perspective.
UNIVERSITY OF OSTRAVA, FACULTY OF ARTS – Ostrava, Czech Republic (1st September 2003 – 2nd February 2009) – Master’s degree in English and German Language and Literature * Double-major program Teaching for Secondary Schools. * Diploma thesis: Content and Style in British Women’s and Men’s Magazines.
HOGESCHOOL GENT, FACULTY OF TRANSLATION – Ghent, Belgium (1st September 2008 – 31st January 2009) – Dutch as a Foreign Language (Erasmus study stay) – Adult Teaching Training, Language and Translation Technology, Localization.